Seneca Academy has recently celebrated 35 years of history as an educational institution. From our inception as a small preschool in founder Jodi Thurmond’s basement, to the thriving International Baccalaureate World School we have become, Seneca Academy is a mainstay in the Darnestown community.
- The Circle School was founded in January 1983 by Jodi Thurmond and her partner Marty Long to provide a program of academic excellence and developmentally appropriate curriculum for their own children.
- Kindergarten was added in 1985.
- Seneca Academy, the elementary component of the school, has been in existence since 1998.
- In September 2009, the Board of Trustees approved a consolidation of The Circle School and Seneca Academy names. Our entire program, from preschool to sixth grade, is now known as Seneca Academy.
- In September 2012, Seneca Academy was authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization as a World School offering the IB Primary Years Program.
- Seneca Academy is approved by the Maryland State Department of Education and is a member of the Association of Independent Maryland and DC Schools (AIMS) and the Washington Small Schools Association (WSSA).