Join us for a series of free parenting workshops presented by Seneca Academy’s Head of School Dr. Michelle Parker.
Picking Your Battles and Setting Limits for Healthy Development
January 23, 2019 (6:30-8:00 pm)
As parents, we are our children’s first teachers. How we establish expectations, set limits and model problem-solving will shape how they grow into resilient, independent and principled individuals. In this workshop we will:
- Clarify a parenting “Mission Statement” that is developmentally appropriate and supports our goals for our children.
- Develop a framework for establishing a positive home environment and rapport with your child, clear expectations and boundaries, and natural consequences that are developmentally appropriate.
- Develop a framework for problem-solving that helps you keep your cool, even when things are feeling out of control.
- Understand the importance of setting boundaries for the development of a healthy sense of self and self-regulation.
Navigating Parenting Pitfalls
March 12, 2019 (6:30-8:00 pm)
All parents experience parenting pitfalls! Learning how to effectively navigate these bumps in the road will help you and your child develop problem-solving skills and lead to a more positive family experience. In this workshop we will:
- Develop a framework for resolving conflict through collaborative problem-solving.
- Apply collaborative problem solving to everyday dilemmas such as tantrums; back talk; morning, bedtime, & homework conflicts; sibling squabbles, etc.
- Explore strategies to help you navigate common disagreements with your co-parent.
Parenting in the Digital Age
May 8, 2019 (6:30-8:00 pm)
There is so much information about all the technology out there. How do you make sense of it and decide what is right for your child? How do we help kids develop a healthy relationship with technology? How do we decide how much is too much? Find out:
- What level of exposure is healthy at each age.
- How to set limits around technology.
- Impact of technology on brain and social development.
Understand Your Child’s Developing Brain
November 7, 2018 (6:30-8:00 pm)
Ever wonder why your child acts the way they do or how they understand the world around them? In this workshop we will:
- Establish a “Mission Statement” to guide parenting.
- Establish a developmental framework for understanding your child’s behavior, play, and learning.
- Explore parenting strategies to promote healthy brain development.
Raising Your Bilingual Child
December 4, 2018 (6:30-8:30 pm) at Bretton Woods
Raising bilingual children is full of joys and challenges! As parents strive to provide meaningful and effective bilingual language experiences, they often wonder how best to nurture their children. In this workshop, we will discuss:
- how bilingual children learn, organize, and process language.
- the cognitive advantages to being bilingual.
- how to encourage continued speaking in the native language.