Seneca Academy fosters children’s natural curiosity and ignites a love of learning through a collaborative, inquiry-based program in a dynamic and welcoming community.
Through the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (IB PYP), students develop into globally-aware citizens who are compassionate and confident problem-solvers. The academic and social-emotional skills they gain at Seneca Academy prepare them to excel in a rapidly changing world.
- Children learn best when given the gift of time to wonder, to explore, and to reflect.
- The foundation of academic excellence begins with learning how to ask questions and seek answers with passion and purpose.
- Partnership between school and home is essential for children’s healthy academic, social, and emotional development.
- To thrive in the twenty-first century, children will need to be resilient individuals who can creatively address problems and see setbacks as opportunities for growth.
- Small classes led by dynamic teachers provide opportunities for students to develop self-confidence and find their voices.
- When diversity is valued, ideas can be debated respectfully and conflicts can be resolved effectively.
- Time spent outdoors, both structured and unstructured, is fundamental to children’s well-being and academic engagement.
Approved by the Seneca Academy Board of Trustees in August of 2021.
Elementary, Preschool and Parent’s Day Out
- Learn more about our Elementary program for grades K-6
- Learn more about our Preschool program for 3- and 4-year-olds
- Learn more about our Parent’s Day Out program for 2-year-olds
Seneca Academy actively and routinely promotes and celebrates our diverse community. Our hiring and admissions practices, as well as curriculum and programs, are designed to advance understanding and inclusion of individuals and families of diverse ability, age, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, politics, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. Furthermore, in order to achieve our vision of “developing globally aware citizens who are lifelong learners and leaders,” Seneca Academy is an International Baccalaureate World School. As such, we are guided by the IB mission statement:
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
Seneca Academy is nondenominational and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, gender, race, religion, politics, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status in the admission of children or the hiring of staff members. Seneca Academy seeks to admit students who will benefit from its philosophy, values, and program.
Why choose a small school?
Seneca Academy is accredited by and a member of the Association of Independent Maryland and DC Schools (AIMS).